Maintenance and Operations Technician - Public Works/Streets
Incumbents perform the more complex of the semi-skilled activities that may require a license to perform the activities such as refrigeration and light to medium equipment operations. Incumbents may serve as a lead to community service workers, volunteers and part-timers.
This position has been identified as a safety-sensitive position by Human Resources, per State and/or Federal Law. Upon conditional offer of employment, the selected candidate will be required to undergo testing for alcohol and controlled substances within twenty-four (24) hours of the job offer.
- Examples of Duties
TYPICAL CLASS ESSENTIAL DUTIES: (These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.)
1. When assigned to the Streets Maintenance Area:
Installs, repairs, replaces, and maintains a variety of fixtures, systems, surfaces, and/or small structures which may include lights; meets safety guidelines and other related items. Installs street, caution, and regulatory signs; applies road markings.
2. Performs maintenance activities, which may include: cleaning equipment, systems, and/or facilities; loading and unloading trucks; cleaning up debris; removing weeds; cutting brush; setting up and removing traffic cones and barricades; and, performing other related activities.
3. Performs a variety of routine concrete, asphalt and/or pavement maintenance and repair activities.
4. Cleans the collection mains, treats the system for vector control, ensures that the lift stations are operating, and inspects and repairs manholes.
5. Maintains, cleans and grades Town right-of-ways.
6. Operates, maintains, and repairs a variety of hand and/or power tools, which includes: paint guns; rollers; concrete saws; paint stripers; water pumps; blowers; weed eaters; chain saws; jack hammers; and/or a variety of other equipment.
7. Investigates and resolves public complaints related to odor, back-ups, insects, signage, traffic signal malfunction, road obstructions and the like. Responds to emergency after-hours situations involving road closures, storm damage or other incidents.
8. Maintains stormwater equipment and pump station facilities by troubleshooting electrical and mechanical systems and performing minor repairs.
9. Operation of equipment such as loaders, bobcats, sweepers, kickbrooms, water wagons, traffic control devices, paint striping machines, pavement saws, power hand tools, concrete mixer, air compressors, landscape power tools, augers, roller, forklift, etc.
10. Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
- Typical Qualifications
Training and Experience (positions in this class typically require):
High School Diploma, or G.E.D., specialized training and experience relating to area of assignment and two years of relevant maintenance experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
- Supplemental Information
Knowledge (position requirements at entry depending upon assignment):
When Assigned to Streets:
* Methods, materials, procedures, and standard practices of street and right-of-way maintenance, vegetation control and removal;
* Methods, materials, procedures and standard practices of street repair, including concrete and asphalt repair, removal and replacement;
* Equipment and tool operation and maintenance practices;
* Traffic laws and rules involved in vehicle and equipment operation;
* Customer service principles;
* Occupational hazards and safe work practices;
* Basic traffic control/barricade procedures;
Skills (position requirements at entry):
* Operating hand and power tools, light and medium equipment, and cleaning equipment;
* Reading blueprints, plans, and drawings;
* Estimating time and material requirements for work projects assigned;
* Performing various building trades;
* Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
* Performing unskilled and semi-skilled tasks in construction and maintenance